Thursday, March 29, 2007

Orthello's Sandwich Bar


An eastern lady with a kind face serves me a mug of coffee and a smile for £1 from behind a raised glass counter that protects an assortment of sandwich fillings from the grubby fingers of the young and the sneezes of the old. Against the back wall where you may expect to see a chalkboard of prices and menus there is only a blue fly-zapping light that hums quietly, waiting for more pray.

I immediately like the place. I look around and it is busy and so I take a seat in the smoking area at the back – not that there are any smoking signs, but there are ashtrays and it is slightly separated from the main seating area.

Metal framed chairs with plywood seats are clustered around small round tables. At one of these tables sits a girl with Down’s syndrome. She is with a friend and smiles at me and every other customer.

The walls are painted mustard yellow from the waist up, and red below, all surrounded by bold blue woodwork. From where I’m sitting I can see into the kitchen where a man leans over a paper on the counter between fixing up plates of chips and beans, or bacon and eggs, or something similar.

I would recommend Othello’s Sandwich Bar – I enjoyed m mug of coffee and my time there.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Geoff said...

the red thing and yellow thing in the picture are suposed to be non-descript refillable tubes of mustard and ketchup, in case you were wondering.

4:24 pm  
Blogger Gavin White said...

I like the sketch Geoff - I'll have to visit Othello's next time I'm in sunny northenden.

10:02 am  
Blogger kristina said...

hi, i think its nearly three years now that i left othellos sandwich bar... i used to work there in the little kitchen...its funny how your description reminded me of that place...lady with the downs syndrom was a regular visitor together with another one...patty and mave i think they were called... :)

11:14 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home