Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Cine City

Now is the time, I think, to tell you about Cine City. I could choose any post, I choose this one. It’s always there, a brief but regular part of the journey, and sometimes I don’t even lookup to see it, but today I did. The traffic slowed as we drew alongside this monument to an age of local cinema. An age gone, not long gone, just gone.

Unused for some years, the chipboard over the windows and doors is now covered in posters for local gigs, and the rest is covered in pigeon poo. There is a classic looking sign arching out over the main doors that would once have listed the films showing on each of the three screens, and informs you the Box Office number is (or was) 445 81--.* Now the slots for the film titles lie empty, and the screen numbers are left to forever advertise their solitude. And those lonely screen numbers are the key to the pathos in this story, as they unremittingly remind the world that somewhere within those pigeon poo grey walls sit three forgotten theatres, slipping into disrepair.

It was built in 1912, one of Britain’s first cinemas, and was closed to the public back in 2001. Since then it has avoided being turned into a chain pub, though may well be knocked down to make way for apartments, which would make me sad. If anyone knows any developments on this, do let me know.

* When I got home I phoned the box office, but was thrown somewhat when a lady answered so I hung up. It made me think perhaps I shouldn't put the number up on my blog, even though it's displayed for all to see in Withington.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Geoff, thanks for the experience of reading your wonderful blog together while snuggled up on the sofa - brilliant!!!! Guess who..... P.S I worked out the password thing!!

11:02 pm  
Blogger Matt Wilson said...

Aaaah - Cine City!
I once had a date there - the girl wasn't very memorable but Goldeneye rocked!

11:08 pm  
Blogger David said...

Is that the one at the junction of Palatine Rd and Wilslow Rd. If so I used to go there 40 years ago.Had a different name in those days. Shame it's closed.

11:43 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that building. It seems a waste that it is empty but it probably doesn't hurt the kind of cult recognition amongst the students in Fallowfield and Withington.

2:40 am  
Blogger Anon said...

Ah yes cine city, what a great redevelopment that would make! Great site for for new apartments-top stuff geoff!!

5:10 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's all gone now, sadly; see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cine_City%2C_Withington

3:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home