Wednesday, September 20, 2006

City Love

From this seat, ten feet up, through a window I watch a city pass that I love. There are two kinds of window that lend themselves to city gazing, and this is one of them. The other is the window of an apartment, high above and looking out – at night after the rain has just let up, as the street lights tinkle in the puddles far below.
But what is lacked here in elevation is made up for by motion. I sit still, aboard my 43, and gaze and the city rolls past and I absorb it and adore it, from suburbs to centre.
But to love a city? A city of bus congestion and wet streets? A city with angry looking souls, who smoke on the back seat, a city with students who crowd the streets and pubs? This and so much more. Manchester, what a city.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Geoff. I do get it. Thats why I do my blog. But I don't think it's the actual city. A city is blank without the people. Just tarmac and concrete.

I really love the people in Norwich. I sometimes wonder if I'm a bit of a voyeur. When you travel a route regularly, you start to recognise fellow passengers, you get to see all their moods. Maybe I'm just strange.

11:17 pm  
Blogger Matt Wilson said...

Geoff,
You should come round and gaze out of our windows some time - soon before we move somewhere low rise!

11:21 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

I get that high rise feeling too. I'm in Leeds. It's starting to feel like a city I no longer recognise. Coming in by train from the dark wastelands of south Yorkshire is like arriving at Tokyo. Sometimes I hate this city more than I can say, but then there are times when I look out of my 12th floor window, and wild horses couldn't drag me away.

They would have to be winged horses if they did, obviously. Or like, good at abseiling.

10:16 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with gary james on this. I can see the love/hate relationship with cities.

8:32 am  
Blogger Geoff said...

Hi Roses, - i don't think that's strange at all, people are amazing.

Picadillywilson - thanks! I'd love to.

Gary - if the horses were in your apartment, they could just be regular wild horses, though it might be tough to get them to pull in the same direction.

Dianne - there are certainly times when i want more than anything to be a long way away from any city, even the Great Manchester. But although i find i can love the whole, i can only ever really dislike small pieces of it.

Geoff - stop replying to comments in this dumb ass way - it's really annoying. If the comment deserves a reply, give it a full one, if not then just leave it. Gee.

11:49 pm  
Blogger Gavin White said...

Great Blog Geoff - It's always good to take a different perspective on the great city that we live in called Manchester.

10:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home